Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Fighting Urges

I did fairly well with patience today and overall handled things well. But, there is always a but. I had to fight the urge all day to get them to do "schooly" things. The thing that does it for me is the computer. WE all spent a lot of time on the computer today and when that happens I am flooded with guilt. I keep thinking I should engage them in something other that staring at a screen. Myself included! But I do know that not all our days are spent like that and they did spend the afternoon outside with friends . But I also fought the urge which in the past I would have really tried to get them to do something that I thought was more educational. So I guess I am learning!

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

I don't mean to butt my nose in - I just wanted to offer encouragement!
A year into ru, I was still on shaky ground. Last fall (at school-start time) I was saying "let's read this", and "how 'bout this?" and such things.
If he said no, I backed off, but I did my share of wheedling.
This fall (back-to-school) we made it through with flying colors!
And my children are interested in so many things!
I don't even do the intentional strewing thing anymore, life itself does that.
Meaning I don't set the microscope on the kitchen table.
Experience is the best teacher (for us, too!) and you'll get more and more comfortable as time goes on.
Especially if you keep a blog!
It's a great tool to show us how far we've come.
Stephanie (of olm and hf)

Life With Us said...

Thanks for the encouragement. My hubby is not on the same page as I am as far as the parenting part but he is on the learning part. I think keeping a blog will help a lot too.
Danette