Saturday, January 26, 2008

So Happy to be Where We Are

I have a friend whose daughter goes to public school. She has been telling me all about her daughter and classmates having to do "Practice" tests for the upcoming MCAS in March. They have been doing these tests since the fall. She has also expressed concerns for her daughter in that she is an interest based learner and she doesn't do well under pressure in class when called on to give an answer or read a loud. I asked her how she does at home or if when she reads things of her choosing does she understand. Yes, she does. I have also asked her, "What in life ,if you could give your daughter anything , would that be?" Her answer, "Confidence, Happiness and not to be afraid". I told her to bring her home! She is not ready to hear that thought. But her calls filled with tears and anxieties become more and more frequent. I don't wish that upon anyone but I do realize when she calls with her fears, how lucky I am to be home and to let my children learn at their own rate and of their own choosing. I don't see the fear in them and I don't feel the heartache that she does. I wish she could stand outside of herself and the world and realize that what she wants for her daughter could happen if she would go with her gut and do what she knows inside is best, instead of asking for that magic crystal ball.

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

I think that she's lucky to have you to call upon.
Lots of folks come to hsing out of desperation, but they don't know how to go about initializing it.
Even if she chooses school at home, (and not unschooling) she already knows there is an out when she's ready, the idea has been planted.
Steph

marcia said...

Gosh.. she should just look at your kids and see the good in kids being HOME.

But perhaps it's that fear of the unknown that perhaps she couldn't do it. It IS hard to let go of all we have ever known .

Would she be open to reading anything or is she just not there yet?

~marcia
www.xanga.com/livefreeinharmony

Life With Us said...

Thanks Stephanie and Marcia, it is becoming bad for her I told her she needs to detach, from school not her daughter. I sent her Sandra Dodd's essay on Public School on her own terms. I told her she can't let school break her heart, that the most important thing is happiness, health and love. She is talking about private school now but I think it will just fix it for a time and then all will be the same again.

marcia said...

Ya school is still school...public, private or charter.

it's really all the same :(