Tuesday, October 9, 2007

On Trust

We have been talking a lot lately about trust and how people who trust each other are close and how as a family I want us to be close, that being one of the reasons I didn't want them to go to school. We also talked about how when people lie to each other and trust is broken that sometimes we lose that closeness. Anyway as we were discussing this Sara said that she thought that all parents lie to their children about things they do not want them to know. I had to thing and as I thought I really couldn't think of anything that I have lied to them about. Except one....... the Big guy with the white beard. I come from a traditional family and that tradition carried on with my children. Except now I am full of guilt! Do I tell them he is not real?? I remember finding out and being devastated and I truly believe my oldest still believes. SO now I am torn do I tell just her or all and will she think it was a lie. which essentially it is.

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

Lost my comment!
argh.
What I said was... :)...
About a year and a half ago Trev said something about not believing in the Easter Bunny, and how he didn't exist. So Easter presents last year were from Eric and I.
As a child I was always skeptical and a bit freaked out, ie was he a cartoon/giant thing in a fur suit, or was he a Real Bunny, and if he was (more believably) real, how did a bunny manage such a feat?
Regarding Santa, I have let my son know that some folks don't believe in Santa, but that I do.
Which is the truth. I have always believed in Santa.
I say follow your heart, it won't lead you astray.
Best wishes,
Steph

Unschoolers Rock the Campground said...

Hi Danette, I have some experience with this. I'd love to tell you all about it.I'll connect with you next week at Marcia's!
Jean

Life With Us said...

Hi , thank you both. I still am not sure what I will do but thanks for the input!
Danette