Saturday, October 27, 2007

Television

I have decided that I really am a tv snob. I find myself often comparing what Maddy watches to what Sara watches. Maddy watches shows that I really find interesting and entertaining so we often watch together. Sara watches shows about teens which for the most part are totally unrealistic. But they are exactly the types of shows I would have watched when I was her age. I try to watch some of them with her but I find myself critiquing the behavior of these worldly teens. Bite my tongue as I may I am a snob. But I have to find some way to get over it and not view what she is watching as anything less than what Maddy watches. One example is one day she said to me," When I am 16 I want to get a pink convertible( like a girl in a movie she watches all the time) but instead of Fabulous on it I am going to get Princess on it." Uggh! This is who she is right now and I am trying to accept it but I also can't help how I feel.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

Funny (but I'm sure very vexing) post!

Wanted to let you know that I tagged you for a dreaded meme, but then I added to it by issuing a Great Moments challenge.
Hope you can participate!
Stephanie (it's at happy-and-free)

piscesgrrl said...

I've been where you are! Basically it comes down to de-valuing what she's interested in, whether it's choice of tv shows, clothing, food, friends, etc. And what will likely happen is she'll be less apt to 'share' (but probably not less apt to liking it! You 'like what you like' you know?). Find a way to enjoy it with her, even if because you categorize it as "time together". If I didn't do that in this house of 3 boys plus me, I'd be flying solo a LOT. And in the end, I realize those things only have as much power as we give them.

Good stuff - I can 'see' you stretching from here!